Toneboy's Journal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
As no-one seems to have started a journal I guess I shall have to bite the bullet... which is fine, although a little bit uncomfortable for my teeth. ;)

I actually already have another journal on the internet, but I've started one here as well because:
1) It is a Christian site, so it can be a more spiritual one.
2) The format of this site encourages more interaction than traditional journal/blog sites.
3) Someone needs to post something in this forum! :D

So where does life find me at the moment?

Spirtually I feel like I'm having a mini-revival, with encouragement coming from lots of different areas.

Personally life is enjoyable at home with my wife Lorraine (better known to as Lainy) and our dog Cookie.

But my professional life casts a cloud over everything. I don't really know how to describe it, but I'm certainly fed up of boring my friends by moaning about it. I feel I should be in something better, earning more money and enjoying more opportunities and security (the company I work for losing a lot of money and reading the press reports isn't very comforting).

Anyway, let's see what happens. Feel free to ask questions. :)

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm Not Going Anywhere

Odd thing from the other evening. Neil (my best mate, who isn't a Christian btw) phoned, and for most of the call he just spoke to Lorraine (not unusual - I think it is great he and my wife get on so well). In the course of the call the two discussed whether Lorraine and I would ever move South. The funny thing is that it was Neil that pointed out how I refer to Scotland as "home".

And it is true. I have a home that I own, it has lots of space, a park nearby for walking the dog, and all Lorraine's family who have welcomed me as one of their own. I wouldn't say I've never thought about moving back, but it isn't a serious option.

Besides anything else the price of housing in the South/South-East of England (the only parts I could realistically consider moving to) is way beyond what Lorraine and I could afford. Why swap a three-bedroom house in a nice area for a one-bedroom flat in an area we don't know? Furthermore there is no guarantee we'd be able to sell that easily - I know my house was on the market for at least a year before I bought it.

The only reasons I could have for moving back to England are Palace (thus making the South/South-East the only options), my friends and my career. Being honest those are the only reasons I could have for returning, otherwise I'd be happy to stay here.

I'd love to have a home here and a flat (or equivalent) in the London area. However looking at things from a spiritual point of view if I had a flat in London, I wouldn't need to stay at Neil's for Palace games, would I?

One other thing I do wish, that people would stop joking that I moved up here to find a wife. I know it is a joke, but while my career jolts from one mess to another it begins to look like a fact. It just gets on my nerves.

Jazz_UK

PS119:114
Re: I'm Not Going Anywhere

Originally posted by Toneboy
One other thing I do wish, that people would stop joking that I moved up here to find a wife. I know it is a joke, but while my career jolts from one mess to another it begins to look like a fact. It just gets on my nerves.
I thought you moved here because of the great neighbours!!

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
I moved here in spite of the neighbours. ;)

Seriously, didn't I warn you I might be moving nearby? :)

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
Forums Upgrade Review

Just wanted to post something post-upgrade. What an afternoon yesterday afternoon was! Took longer than I expected, due to the size of some of the files involved. I was doing quite a bit of nail-biting, I can assure you! Rather oddly, there was also a snow blizzard going on outside while all that was going on.

Anyway, the feedback so far has been positive, so at the moment I'm very happy with the way it has all gone. :)

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting (if that's the word) development at work. No on-call payments in my salary this month. Mistake by my boss, which he has owned up to and apologised for. Although it is a three-figure sum we have some savings at the moment, so as long as I get it eventually we should be okay.

One of my colleagues is in the same boat, but he is in a tighter position financially and is understandably a bit worried. Frankly he's a bit stressed about the situation.

My "nutrionist" (the girl who sits next to me) pointed out to him that it was a mistake, and that "the last perfect man died on the cross". True, but just a flippant line to her.

I actually thought it best to defuse the situation, and so I said, "But without the extra money, how are we going to save up and buy that ship called Dignity?" I'm glad to say it got the desired reaction.

That's one work worry, although the need isn't immediate in my case. Another is when I can actually make a booking with my holiday concession. I'm worried about there not being anything left for when Lorraine and I are off work in August. Time will tell I suppose.

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
Been meaning to update this for a while, thus meaning that things are a little behind time here and events talked about here happened a while ago.

A week last Monday (23rd February) I was told that my holiday concession (a benefit at my work which due to time served is worth a four-figure sum) can't be used to make a booking until April 1st (quite ironic) given the company's financial state of affairs.

Now to say the least I wasn't happy about this, given that the likelihood of what I want to book still being available at the start of April is minimal at best. It was another occasion where I wasn't much fun to be around. It really threatened to be the straw that broke the camel's back where my employer was concerned, as I had grown fed up of continual nit-picking, rule-changing, the recent error with my wages and other things which make my 37.5 hours a week too much trouble for the money I earn. Why should I put myself out for them?

I was fully prepared to take my attitude into work with me, before I read this the next morning:

The Lord of hosts, Him you shall hallow; Let Him be your fear, And let Him be your dread. -- Isaiah 8:13

Oops, let's leave my attitude outside the office, shall we?

So now I'm waiting to see what happens come April 1st. A bit of me suspects that the date will be changed again. A lot of me expects that the holiday we want (a fly-drive to Florida in August) won't be available.

I'm honestly trying not to think about this situation this month, as any time I do think about it all sorts of thoughts run through my head. Haven't I "earned" this holiday for how I've been treated? Could it be that God doesn't want me to have a holiday? If I don't get to use my concession, can I justify spending the money on getting the holiday elsewhere?

See, that's why I don't want to think about it. It makes me somewhat despondent rather quickly.

One thing is certain - I'm not going to Tenerife again this year. Not a chance.

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
(Can't believe it has been that long since I updated this - we got our holiday booked, just in case anyone was wondering.)

I've just had a lovely weekend away, I'm pleased to say. The flights with Easyjet were nice, the weather was lovely (most of the time) and Saturday's excursion to Selhurst Park culminated in a Palace win. We're up to 5th in the First Division table with one game to go. :)

Best of all though was the company. My best mate Neil and I picked up like we'd never been away from each other, like we nearly always do. Among the best parts of our time together were:
1) Watching Snooker until 2am in the morning on the Friday night (this is nearly becoming an annual ritual - I'm tempted to make it one because it is highly enjoyable).
2) Laughing at numerous moments on Sky Sports' Soccer AM show.
3) Having Neil get frustrated at me during a game of 80s Trivial Pursuit. He's already said he won't play the game with his sister's boyfriend as he knows too many of the answers, it looks like I'm heading for the same place.

A good weekend, and a much needed break. I feel much better for it. :)

(Actually, I feel shattered today. Let's not mention that, eh?)

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
It's a beautiful day!

The sun is shining.

I've just seen Tony Hadley. :cool:

And I'm still hopeful of a trip to Cardiff at the end of the month. :p

Good times. :)

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
Thought it was about time that I updated this, especially as I'm struggling to find time to do so at the moment.

This is all because of the trip that Lainy and I took to Cardiff on the Bank Holiday weekend for the Division 1 Play-Off final. What a trip that was, obviously making me a very happy camper. :)

Since we got back we've had some amount of catching up to do with things, thus very little spare time. Not much cash to play with either - all in I figure our wonderfully unexpected trip to Cardiff cost around ?300 (the tickets alone were over ?40 a head), not small change to us. I won't think of what it cost in years to come though, I'll think of the memories, which are sweet indeed.

Now, does anyone want to share some beans on toast with me? :D

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
Just a few notes, as I'm in a bit of a hurry.

Lorraine's on nightshift at the moment. I'm cashing in and getting on with stuff late into the night. Of course I'm knackered as well - yesterday afternoon I ended up falling asleep on the sofa in mid-afternoon. Not good, but quite relaxing. I've always been more of a night person anyway.

Stubbed or bent-back the little toe on my right foot yesterday. Very sore at the time, it is a lot better now. However the toe is still a nasty shade of black/blue/purple. Not nice.

All in all though, I'm enjoying life at the moment. I'm quite relaxed, enjoying myself, looking forward to our holiday. Can't wait for it. :)

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
July 3rd

Typically July 3rd isn't a good date for me. Today hasn't been much different. Exhaust went on the car and I also got called into work for on-call duties (about three hours worth). No end of fun.

And Lainy is hogging the telly, watching the Strictly Come Dancing final. :zzz:

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
Not up to much at the moment. Work is sometimes quiet, sometimes busy, but I've got plenty to do.

Neil (my best mate) is working in Boston this week. Yes, Boston, Mass., not Boston, Lincolnshire. Lucky man!

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty good day today. Saw two of Lainy's cousins getting baptised, had the pleasure of having a good speaker there, plus a good speaker at our Church tonight.

Had some time with my brother-in-law this afternoon. Guys' stuff - very enjoyable, much needed. Very theraputic hitting fifty golf balls at a driving range. My golf swing is like a bad recipe - results may vary. :D First time I had swung a club in anger in three and a half years, so I did better than I thought I might. Wearing my Church shoes probably didn't help as I was slipping all over the place.

Staying up late for the Super Bowl tonight. Looking forward to it, expecting a New England win.

Tomorrow - lots of... :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
Brief update

In no particular order:

1) Lainy has her 20-week scan tomorrow. For those of you who didn't know, yes, we're expecting.
2) Been in work both days this weekend. Today's call was due to server issues, the one yesterday was to do with helping other staff dealing with the bombs in Egypt on Friday night.
3) Speaking of bombs, the world has gone mental in the last few weeks. Bombs and violence everywhere it seems. Not good. For some reason the scripture about "wars and rumours of wars" comes to mind.

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
Bit late (by about four weeks!) but I thought I ought to post a picture of my daughter, Chloe Rachel, born at 2.16am on the 1st of December.

For those of you who like to know these things she weighed 7lbs 15oz when she was born. Mum and baby still doing well.

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
Just a quick post, because my current post count is 666 and I don't want it to stay there. :D

Chloe's getting dedicated tomorrow. Should be good.

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
Had a pretty good day at Church yesterday. The visiting speaker was Brian Lowrie, a guy we've heard before and have enjoyed immensely. As one friend suggested, he's the kind of guy you listen to and then realise how long he's been speaking for. You don't realise he's been speaking a while because he's easy to listen to. That's a pretty good quality for a speaker to have in my view.

Not that it diminshes what he's saying. Brian interjects humour into his messages, but it doesn't take things away from the topic he is speaking about. Plenty of referring back to the Bible and cross-referencing. Highly recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.