Server issues with PHP

SteveWR

Toneboy,

As you are the PHP guru are you also adept at setting up PHP stuff in Linux servers?

ie setting up forum software linked to mySQL.

Also I have seen a nice piece of software for blogs that is php based.

I am just an asp and access man, and that is so easy but I understand php/Linux is a bit more involved, is that correct?

Thanks

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately I'm a long way from being a PHP guru Steve (I'll take that as a big compliment though :).).

I've never had to setup PHP on a server itself. Generally to have total control over how you setup PHP you have to lease a whole server, which is well out of my financial reach. Even on a monthly basis you end up paying about as much in about three months as a virtual server can cost for a year. :eek: If virtual hosting is something you would consider perhaps one of the options on the Domain Hosting thread will come in useful.

I don't use Access much (more at work) and have never used asp, so I can't really compare between asp and php. However I find that php can be as powerful or simple as you want it to be. Furthermore I have found that most (not all) php scripts/programs which are available for downloading come with excellent installation/operating readme files, which are always a great help.

Hope this has helped - if I have misunderstood you at all feel free to ask further questions and I'll see if I can help further.

SteveWR

Thanks, and no you didn't misunderstand the Q.

I uploaded a snitz forum (asp) recently to one of my virtual servers, you only had to change two lines of code and activate a link to to the Access file on the server. A real doddle.

I looked at a php board recently and the instalation instructions were a we bit more complicated.

Steve

ps the forum i did still has way way fewer members than here :cry: Mind you its not mine so do I care, well a little ...

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm breathing a sigh of relief that I didn't misunderstand the question. I was worried there for a while. :)

If it is alright with you Steve, would you mind posting the installation instructions for me to have a look at?

SteveWR

Ok I'll post them. I've got to find them now! They are on my laptop somewhere.

You will have gathered by now this is not a priority .... I do need to sort out though.