Is Satan bound, now?

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
Went to my in-laws' Church last night. The speaker there was trying to use Revelation 20 to say that Satan is bound now. Thought this didn't seem right, especially compared to what is said in 1 Peter 5:
Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.
His whole interpretation of the chapter seemed to be figurative rather than literal, which worried me somewhat.

Can someone please confirm if I'm right or not please?

P.S. If he was meaning to say, "He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world" that would be different, but it certainly didn't come over like that.

lawrensons

CoffE Moderator
Staff member
he sounds like an amillenialist - they take the whole book of revelation from either a historical perspective or a allegorical one - thus the Great Tribulation period has already pasted and we are in the millenial reign of Christ.

I have a number of problems with that:

1)

"He laid hold of the dragon, that serpent of old, who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years; and he cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal on him, so that he should deceive the nations no more till the thousand years were finished. " - Revelation 20:2-3
The above passage says that Satan is bound "so that he should deceive the nations no more till the thousand years were finished". If that is the case then the chain has been left too long. The binding of Satan here refers to a greater restriction in his activity than anything we experience today. Therefore, the millennium has not begun

2)

?The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, The leopard shall lie down with the young goat, The calf and the young lion and the fatling together; And a little child shall lead them. The cow and the bear shall graze; Their young ones shall lie down together; And the lion shall eat straw like the ox. The nursing child shall play by the cobra?s hole, And the weaned child shall put his hand in the viper?s den. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all My holy mountain, For the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD As the waters cover the sea.- Isaiah 11:6
Does this happen today? Has it ever happened in the history of the world? No - therefore it is logical to conclude that the above events are still future.

3)

Then the LORD will go forth And fight against those nations, As He fights in the day of battle. And in that day His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, Which faces Jerusalem on the east. And the Mount of Olives shall be split in two, From east to west, Making a very large valley; Half of the mountain shall move toward the north And half of it toward the south. - Zechariah 14:3-4
The Lords Return will be - visible, personal, powerful and literal