Imputation

lawrensons

CoffE Moderator
Staff member
Interesting question this:

"How is it just for God to hold the sons accountable for the sins of the fathers?" i.e. Adam and Romans 5:12-21

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have an answer to the question, but I think it is worth noting that the thread starter has four children - all daughters. :D

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
Had a bit more of a think about this, came up with the following thought:

The implication would almost seem to be that God is unfair. However we know that God is not unfair, so perhaps... it is something to do with typology, perhaps that sin is something we all do and are just following the behaviour of previous generations?

lawrensons

CoffE Moderator
Staff member
OK - so how would deal with:

Lev 20:1-5 Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, ?Again, you shall say to the children of Israel: ?Whoever of the children of Israel, or of the strangers who dwell in Israel, who gives any of his descendants to Molech, he shall surely be put to death. The people of the land shall stone him with stones. I will set My face against that man, and will cut him off from his people, because he has given some of his descendants to Molech, to defile My sanctuary and profane My holy name. And if the people of the land should in any way hide their eyes from the man, when he gives some of his descendants to Molech, and they do not kill him, then I will set My face against that man and against his family; and I will cut him off from his people, and all who prostitute themselves with him to commit harlotry with Molech.

And:

Exodus 34:6-7 - And the LORD passed before him and proclaimed, ?The LORD, the LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abounding in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, by no means clearing the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children and the children?s children to the third and the fourth generation.?

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
The fact that those events took place in the Old Testament would lead me even further towards the typology route.

Test of my memory here... if the other nations were a type of the flesh does this mean that we need to rid ourselves of such fleshly actions, i.e. die in the flesh and live in the spirit?

lawrensons

CoffE Moderator
Staff member
but outside of the typology issue - the fact remains that these were literal events.

Other texts: Exd 20:5; 34:7; Lev 20:5; 26:39-42; Num 14:18,33; 1Ki 21:29; Job 21:19; Psa 37:28; Isa 14:20,21; 65:6,7; Jer 32:18; Dan 6:24