Gen 10

Genesis 10:2 King James Version (KJV)
2 The sons of Japheth; Gomer, and Magog, and Madai, and Javan, and Tubal, and Meshech, and Tiras.

Genesis 10:2 Expanded Bible (EXB)
Japheth’s Sons

2 The sons of Japheth were Gomer, Magog, Madai [C ancestor of the Medes], Javan, Tubal, Meshech, and Tiras.

Expanded Bible (EXB) The Expanded Bible, Copyright © 2011 Thomas Nelson Inc. All rights reserved.

These are my thoughts.

Gomer became the Celtic people, Magog became the Russians, Madai became the Medes, Javan became the Greeks, Tubal settled below the Black Sea. Meshech became Armenians, Tiras became the Goths and Scandinavian people.

Genesis 10:1 King James Version (KJV)
10 Now these are the generations of the sons of Noah, Shem, Ham, and Japheth: and unto them were sons born after the flood.

Genesis 10:1 Expanded Bible (EXB)
Nations Grow and Spread

10 •This is the family history [L These are the generations; 2:4] of Shem, Ham, and Japheth, the sons of Noah. After the flood •these three men had sons [L sons were born to them].

Expanded Bible (EXB) The Expanded Bible, Copyright © 2011 Thomas Nelson Inc. All rights reserved.

These are my thoughts.
Life continued after the flood as God provision thru the ark allowed it.

Genesis 10:4 King James Version (KJV)
4 And the sons of Javan; Elishah, and Tarshish, Kittim, and Dodanim.

Genesis 10:4 Expanded Bible (EXB)

4 The sons of Javan were Elishah, Tarshish, Kittim [C ancestor of the people of Cyprus], and ·Rodanim [L Dodanim; see 1 Chr. 1:7].

These are my thoughts.

Javan was mainly the ancestor of the Greeks the people who would later be known as Gentiles mainly, the civilized non-Jewish people of the known world.

Elishah dwelled on the Islands in around Greece and Italy.

Tarshish settled in Tartessus which is a city in Greece.

Kittim settled in Cyprus.

Dodanim dwelled on the island of Rhodes.

Genesis 10:4 King James Version (KJV)
4 And the sons of Javan; Elishah, and Tarshish, Kittim, and Dodanim.

Genesis 10:4 Expanded Bible (EXB)

4 The sons of Javan were Elishah, Tarshish, Kittim [C ancestor of the people of Cyprus], and •Rodanim [L Dodanim; see 1 Chr. 1:7].

These are my thoughts.
So Javan had four main groups that came from him. Elishah’s people would become known for their purple dies and would be from Cyprus and Sicily. Tarshish would be known for trading goods. Tarshish was from Greece. Kittim was from Cyprus but then moved to other islands around it. Dodanim was from Rhodes islands and the city of Tyre.

Genesis 10:6 King James Version (KJV)
6 And the sons of Ham; Cush, and Mizraim, and Phut, and Canaan.

Genesis 10:6 Expanded Bible (EXB)
Ham’s Sons

6 The sons of Ham [C ancestors of near neighbors and rivals of Israel] were Cush [C ancestor of the Ethiopians], Mizraim [C ancestor of the Egyptians], Put [C perhaps ancestor of the Libyans], and Canaan.

These are my thoughts.
Ham was the son of Noah would cause Canaan to be cursed. Cush would dwell in Ethiopia Mizraim would dwell in Egypt. Put would dwell in Libya. Canaan would dwell in the Holy land Israel was suppose to drive them out with war.

Genesis 10:8 King James Version (KJV)
8 And Cush begat Nimrod: he began to be a mighty one in the earth.

Genesis 10:8 Expanded Bible (EXB)

8 Cush also had a descendant named Nimrod, who became a very powerful man on earth.

These are my thoughts.
Nimrod most likely would be the king of Babel.

Genesis 10:3 King James Version (KJV)
3 And the sons of Gomer; Ashkenaz, and Riphath, and Togarmah.

Genesis 10:3 Expanded Bible (EXB)

3 The sons of Gomer [C ancestor of the Cimmerians] were Ashkenaz [C ancestor of the Scythians], Riphath, and Togarmah.

These are my thoughts.

Gomer dwelled in Eurasia. Ashkenaz dwelled in the upper Euphrates area. Riphath dwelled among mountains in Greece, Togarmah was the ancestor of people of western Asia.

Genesis 10:10 King James Version (KJV)
10 And the beginning of his kingdom was Babel, and Erech, and Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar.

Genesis 10:10 Expanded Bible (EXB)

10 •At first Nimrod’s kingdom covered [L The beginning of his kingdom was] Babylon, •Erech [or Uruk], Akkad, and Calneh [C well-known cities in southern Mesopotamia] in the land of •Babylonia [L Shinar].

These are my thoughts.
Babel was the first kingdom, it stood against God.

Genesis 10:5
KJV 5 By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.
KJ2000 5 By these were the coastlands of the nations divided in their lands; everyone after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.

These are my thoughts.
People were divided, but thru Christ we are to overcome this natural division.

Genesis 10:12

KJV 12 And Resen between Nineveh and Calah: the same is a great city.

KJ2000 12 And Resen between Nineveh and Calah: the same is a great city.

These are my thoughts.

This later would be a city of a great nation and it started then. We have a greater start thru Jesus and thru Him we can do great things.

Genesis 10:8

KJV 8 And Cush begat Nimrod: he began to be a mighty one in the earth.

KJ2000 8 And Cush begat Nimrod: he began to be a mighty one in the earth.

These are my thoughts.

To might in the earth isn’t bad but it only truly means anything with the Lord leading.

Genesis 10:14
KJV 14 And Pathrusim, and Casluhim, (out of whom came Philistim,) and Caphtorim.
KJ2000 14 And Pathrusim, and Casluhim, (out of whom came the Philistines,) and Caphtorim.

These are my thoughts.
Pathrusim inhabited upper Egypt. Casluhim was also from Egypt, the Philistines were people Israel would know very well and they would battle them for years. Caphtorim was also from Egypt.

Genesis 10:10

KJV 10 And the beginning of his kingdom was Babel, and Erech, and Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar.

KJ2000 10 And the beginning of his kingdom was Babel, and Erech, and Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar.

These are my thoughts.

Babel was the first kingdom that the world had, it was built on man’s pride.

Genesis 10:16

KJV 16 And the Jebusite, and the Amorite, and the Girgasite,

KJ2000 16 And the Jebusite, and the Amorite, and the Girgashite,

These are my thoughts.

The Jebusites were the people living in Jerusalem before Israel took it.

The Amorites lived in what is today Syria.

The Girgasite also lived in Cannan but they lived around the Sea of Galilee.

Genesis 10:12

KJV 12 And Resen between Nineveh and Calah: the same is a great city.

KJ2000 12 And Resen between Nineveh and Calah: the same is a great city.

These are my thoughts.

Nineveh would later even become a greater city being the capital of the Assyrians who would capture the ten tribes of the northern kingdom.

Genesis 10:18
KJV 18 And the Arvadite, and the Zemarite, and the Hamathite: and afterward were the families of the Canaanites spread abroad.
KJ2000 18 And the Arvadite, and the Zemarite, and the Hamathite: and afterward were the families of the Canaanites spread abroad.

These are my thoughts.
These groups lived around Syria and Israel, they only spread abroad after babel.

Genesis 10:7

KJV 7 And the sons of Cush; Seba, and Havilah, and Sabtah, and Raamah, and Sabtechah: and the sons of Raamah; Sheba, and Dedan.

KJ2000 7 And the sons of Cush; Seba, and Havilah, and Sabtah, and Raamah, and Sabteca: and the sons of Raamah; Sheba, and Dedan.

These are my thoughts.

Cush dwelled in what is now known as Ethiopia. Seba lived on an island off the coast of Ethopia. Havilah lived in the Persian Gulf area. Raamah lived in the Arabian Peninsula. Sabtechah dwelled east of the Persian Gulf. Sheba lived in what is now Yemen. Dedan lived west of the Persian Gulf.

Genesis 10:20

KJV 20 These are the sons of Ham, after their families, after their tongues, in their countries, and in their nations.

KJ2000 20 These are the sons of Ham, after their families, after their tongues, in their countries, and in their nations.

These are my thoughts.

These divisions would more defined after Babel. Ham had different people groups.

Genesis 10:14

KJV 14 And Pathrusim, and Casluhim, (out of whom came Philistim,) and Caphtorim.

KJ2000 14 And Pathrusim, and Casluhim, (out of whom came the Philistines,) and Caphtorim.

These are my thoughts.

Pathrusim people lived in upper Egypt. Casluhim were also form Egypt the Philistines would be battling Israel in the Holy Land for years. Caphtorim were also from Egypt.

Genesis 10:22

KJV 22 The children of Shem; Elam, and Asshur, and Arphaxad, and Lud, and Aram.

KJ2000 22 The children of Shem; Elam, and Asshur, and Arpachshad, and Lud, and Aram.

These are my thoughts.

Shem this is the line that the Jews came from.