Dinosaurs - Biblical answers

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
Something I would like to see cleared up, just because I have heard a lot of non-Christians (some at work, some on other message boards) saying things along the lines of "Mention Dinosaurs to Christians - they haven't got an answer to that."

This needn't be a matter we need to run away from (just like we shouldn't run from any issue in my opinion). The Bible does have answers, I just don't have them all. :(

Two things I can point out:
1) To the cynical suggestion of "There aren't any Dinosaurs mentioned in Genesis and Exodus..." From what I've heard it is thought that the Bible doesn't run in chronological order, so that isn't necessarily the place they'll be mentioned in.

2) The book of Job is thought by many to pre-date the book of Genesis, and there are thought to be Dinosaurs mentioned in that book. Not sure exactly what references, but someone else will have that information I'm sure. :)

Quick Response - The Bible does not mention many animals giraffe, elephant etc so obviously they don't exist. ;)

Dinosaurs are just a name which we have invented to describe a specific type of extinct animal.

Job 40:15-19
"Look at the behemoth, which I made along with you and which feed on grass like an ox. What strength he has in his loins, what power in the muscles of his belly! His tail sways like a cedar; the sinews of his thighs are close-knit. His bones are tubes of bronze, his limbs like rods of iron. He ranks first among the works of God..."
Job 41 talks about the leviathan a great sea creature.

Also we tend to think of dinosaurs as large creatures, while most of them were only the size of a pig (heard it at a lecture from Answers in Genesis).

What we also need to be clear on is that much of the work done by the scientists is finding one bone then creating a full creature out of that one bone, try recreating a car from a broken exhaust pipe (without knowing what a car looks like).

A great site is Answers in Genesis

Jazz

Stuart Kirkham

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree.

Answers in Genesis believes in the Truth of Scripture from the first Book in The Bible, and all the way through The Bible.
Creation Research is another sound organisation. John McKay gave a talk at our Fellowship, Calvary Chapel Stockport , last Autumn.
Stuart. :wave:

janet

I can understand that dinosaurs were created by god and then mostly died during the great flood but i think that the important question is about evolution and how that fits in with creation. I think that all the animals have evolved after god created them and that some died out too, so i guess that i beleive that humans lived with the dinosaurs but i dont know enough science to work it out properly yet.

janet

What we also need to be clear on is that much of the work done by the scientists is finding one bone then creating a full creature out of that one bone, try recreating a car from a broken exhaust pipe (without knowing what a car looks like).

The types of bones of the dinosaurs can be studied to find out how much muscle will have been attatched to them and how it will have been situated on the bone, so alot can be found out especially as we know so much about the skeletal structure of the animals that are alive today.

PS.I heard somewhere that fossilisation doesnt take millions of years but only a few thousand years but i dunno how true that is.