Assurance

irene

Assurance

a-shoor?ans: A term exceptionally rich in spiritual meaning. It signifies the joyous, unwavering confidence of an intelligent faith; the security of a fearless trust. The original words have to do with the heart of vital religion. בּטח, bāṭaḥ, ?trust?; אמן, 'āman, ?to prop,? ?to support,? hence to confide in, to trust. Jesus repeatedly used this word ?amen? to express the trustworthiness and abiding certainty of his sayings. πίστις, pístis, ?faith?; πληροφορία, plērophoría, ?full assurance.? The confidence of faith is based, not on ?works of righteousness which we have done? (compare Tit_3:4, Tit_3:5 the King James Version) but on the highpriesthood and atoning sacrifice of Christ (Heb_10:21, Heb_10:22; compare Heb_10:19, ?boldness to enter ... by the blood of Jesus,? the King James Version). Assurance is the soul's apprehension of its complete emancipation from the power of evil and from consequent judgment, through the atoning grace of Christ. It is the exact opposite of self-confidence, being a joyous appropriation and experience of the fullness of Christ - a glad sense of security, freedom and eternal life in Him. This doctrine is of immeasurable importance to the life of the church and of the individual believer, as a life of spiritual doubt and uncertainty contradicts the ideal of liberty in Christ Jesus which is the natural and necessary fruitage of ?the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit ... shed on us abundantly, through Jesus Christ our Saviour.? Paul unhesitatingly said, ?I know? (2Ti_1:12) - a word which, oft-repeated in 1 Jn, furnishes the groundwork of glad assurance that runs through the entire epistle. For the classic passage on ?full assurance? see Col_2:1-10. (International Standard Bible Encyclopedia)

Tit 3:4 But when the kindness and love of God our Savior toward man appeared,
Tit 3:5 not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,
Tit 3:6 whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior,
Tit 3:7 that being justified by His grace, we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

We are heirs of eternal life, we can be assured of that if we have truly put our trust in Christ as Saviour.

Heb 10:21 and having a High Priest over the house of God,
Heb 10:22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies having been washed with pure water.

We have a High Priest. If we draw ever closer to him we can know more of the assurance of faith

Heb 10:19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,

How is it that we can have assurance of this faith? It is through the blood Jesus shed for us on Calvary's cross. He died to forgive us our sins, that if we believe in him we might have eternal life.

2Ti 1:12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

Wow, He is able to keep that which we have comitted unto him against that day.

The Amplified Bible puts it this way

2 Ti1:12 And this is why I am suffering as I do. Still I am not ashamed, for I know(perceive,have knowledge of and am acquainted with) Him Whom I have believed (adhered to and trusted in and relied on ) and I am (positively) persuaded that He is able to guard and keep that which has been entrusted to me and which ' I have committed (to Him) until that day. (Amp)

Col 2:1 For I would that ye knew what great conflict I have for you, and for them at Laodicea, and for as many as have not seen my face in the flesh;
Col 2:2 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ;
Col 2:3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
Col 2:4 And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words.
Col 2:5 For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ.
Col 2:6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:
Col 2:7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.
Col 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
Col 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
Col 2:10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

We are complete in Him. Oh how wonderful those words are. If we stay steadfast in Him we shoiuld be assure of our faith. If we stay rooted in the faith and walk closely with the Lord we should be assured of the hope that is to come.we will know in our hearts that assurance. When the devil attacks us with doudts we should remember that we have a High Priest interceding for us, he has put all things under his feet.

Heb 2:8 Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him.If you have trully asked Jesus to forgive your sins and asked Jesus ito come into your life, he comes in and comes in to stay, what you need is assurance of salvation. I am including verses on Assurance which may be helpful.

Assurance
Produced by faith
Eph_3:12; 2Ti_1:12; Heb_10:22;

Made full by hope
Heb_6:11; Heb_6:19;

Confirmed by love
1Jo_3:14; 1Jo_3:19; 1Jo_4:18;

Is the effect of righteousness
Isa_32:17;

Is abundant in the understanding of the gospel
Col_2:2; 1Th_1:5;

SAINTS PRIVILEGED TO HAVE, OF
Their election
Psa_4:3; 1Th_1:4;

Their redemption
Job_19:25;

Their adoption
Rom_8:16; 1Jo_3:2;

Their salvation
Isa_12:2;

Eternal life
1Jo_5:13;

The unalienable love of God
Rom_8:38; Rom_8:39;

Union with God and Christ
1Co_6:15; 2Co_13:5; Eph_5:30; 1Jo_2:5; 1Jo_4:13;

Peace with God by Christ
Rom_5:1;

Preservation
Psa_3:6; Psa_3:8; Psa_27:3-5; Psa_46:1-3;

Answers to prayer
1Jo_3:22; 1Jo_5:14; 1Jo_5:15;

Continuance in grace
Phi_1:6;

Comfort in affliction
Psa_73:26; Luk_4:18; Luk_4:19; 2Co_4:8-10; 2Co_4:16-18;

Support in death
Psa_23:4;

A glorious resurrection
Job_19:26; Psa_17:15; Phi_3:21; 1Jo_3:2;

A kingdom
Heb_12:28; Rev_5:10;

A crown
2Ti_4:7; 2Ti_4:8; Jam_1:12;

Give diligence to attain to
2Pe_1:10; 2Pe_1:11;

Strive to maintain
Heb_3:14; Heb_3:18;

Confident hope in God restores
Psa_42:11;

Exemplified
David
Psa_23:4; Psa_73:24-26;

Paul
2Ti_1:12; 2Ti_4:18;

We all have doubts at times, but remember the Holy Spirit indwells us, Jesus has put all things under his feet, so tramp on the Devil so to speak.